Writing Skills for Auditors
About this course (2 day)
Audit report writers need to know how to write clear, effective reports to help organizations identify and manage business risks. Participants leave this workshop with usable skills for writing effective internal audit reports that clearly identify risks and spur management to act.
This workshop is customized for each client to support their internal audit approach and their preferred audit report format.Download course outline (in-person)
Who should attend
This workshop is for internal auditors as well as their managers or supervisors.
We suggest a workshop size of 15 participants to allow for individual coaching.
What you will learn
In this workshop, you will learn to:
- Plan and write reports that give senior executives key information for risk management
- Write reports that clearly differentiate between minor and major risk and that address the symptoms of risk exposure
- Write reports that are balanced, constructive and encourage management to be proactive
- Package your information in a way that helps management grasp the key issues
- Write in a clear, unencumbered style that will not bury key issues in too much detail or too many words
- Edit your own first drafts
What to expect
We know that people learn best by doing, so this workshop gives you many opportunities to practice as you learn. You participate in both group and individual learning projects and you receive coaching from your facilitator. You use your own sample audit reports to assess your writing, and immediately apply your new skills by editing and rewriting sections of those sample reports.
You receive a comprehensive manual and workbook that contain checklists and other job aids, plus a handy laminated tip sheet to help transfer new skills to your work-based writing.
Clients that provide this course also choose:
Grammar & Proofreading
Presenting to Groups
Facilitating Better Meetings
Writing Skills Coaching
Not sure which workshop is right for you? Check our Course Matrix to find the solution that fits your needs.