Writing Business Reports
About this workshop (2 days)
Good reports and proposals move projects forward and help readers reach the correct decision. Yet they’re challenging to write, since it’s easy to get mired in all the data you want to convey.
This report writing workshop shows you how to write complex documents that are easy for readers to comprehend. It provides strategies and techniques to ensure your reports, feasibility studies, proposals and business plans are clear, concise and persuasive.Download One-Page Summary (in-person)
Who should attend
This workshop is for people who report on projects, or make recommendations.
We suggest 12 to 15 participants to allow for individual coaching.
What you will learn
In this workshop, you will learn to:
- Use our helpful framework to quickly organize your reports
- Decide on the right amount of information and level of detail to include
- Decide what to include in the body and what belongs in appendices
- Write information-rich headings so readers can quickly scan your report
- Use bullet points appropriately
- Write in a clear, concise style
- Write, edit and proofread quickly
- Incorporate graphs, statistics and visuals to add interest
- Write clear, persuasive executive summaries
What to expect
We know that people learn best by doing, so this workshop gives you many opportunities to practice as you learn. You participate in both group and individual learning projects and receive coaching from your facilitator. You use samples of your own documents to assess your writing and pinpoint areas for improvement. As well, you plan and write a report on a topic of your choice so you can immediately apply your new skills.
You receive a handy laminated tip sheet and a comprehensive manual containing checklists and other job aids to help transfer what you have learned about writing business reports to your back-at-work writing.