About this workshop
In-person (half day)
Virtual (modular, 4 or 6 hours)
It’s a fact of life that we spend at least 35% of each working day reading, writing and sending emails. While email is easy and fast, when misused it results in lost productivity, miscommunication and frustration. Even worse, a sensitive email that lands in the wrong inbox can mean public embarrassment, job loss, or even a lawsuit.
This workshop gives you essential email skills for managing your email. You learn the etiquette of sending courteous and respectful emails. As well, you learn to quickly draft emails that are clear and readable.Download course outline (in-person) Download course outline (virtual)
Who should attend
This workshop is for anyone who wants to gain control of the email they receive and become a more productive and professional email user.
We recommend a maximum of 20 participants.
This 4-hour email basics workshop can be delivered as three lunch & learn sessions.
What you will learn
In this workshop, you will learn the essentials of email:
Managing your inbox
- Automatically sort incoming email so you never feel swamped
- File and retrieve important messages quickly
- Time activate and delegate emails
- Empty your inbox regularly
- Know when email is appropriate and when it is not
- Be a courteous and responsible email user
- Share time-saving conventions with your co-workers
- Compose informative subject lines
- Create a layout that is simple and scannable
- Match tone to your reader and your purpose
- Write requests that are clear, respectful and to the point
- Respond appropriately, even when the news is unwelcome
- Write emails that build relationships by using a positive, professional style
What to expect
This workshop is information-rich and practical. It is delivered in an interactive, non-threatening environment. You will receive a comprehensive workbook and a handy laminated tip sheet outlining best email practices.