Making Meetings Work
About this course
Virtual (3 hours)
Most business people spend a lot of time in meetings, and not all of that time is productive. Whether you lead or participate in them, you can benefit from learning how to make your meetings more effective.
This course provides best practices for productive meetings and strategies for implementing them in your own meetings.Download course outline (virtual, 3 hours)
Who should attend
This course is for anyone who spends time in meetings, either as a participant or as a leader. It is ideal for mixed groups as well as for intact work teams. We suggest a maximum of 15 participants.
What you will learn
In this meeting skills training course, you will learn to:
- Plan productive team meetings using a Meeting Planner and Action Agenda Planner
- Capture highlights, decisions and actions from each meeting to ensure follow-through
- Manage common barriers to effective interpersonal and group communications to make your meetings more productive
- Use effective communication and questioning skills to fully tap the creative resources of attendees
- Listen actively to ensure attendees reach agreement and make quality decisions
- Use a range of facilitation tools to help gather and organize ideas
- Unblock the flow of constructive ideas when people become stuck
- Manage your own group process and deal constructively with problems in group dynamics
- Adopt best practices before, during and after meetings so that time spent is well invested
What to expect
The course is fast-paced and interactive. You have an opportunity to assess your own meeting practices and pinpoint areas for change. You participate in a series of group and individual projects, including a case study and meeting role play, where you practice strategies learned. And you walk away with a personal and a team action plan to help apply what you have learned to your back-at-work meetings.
You also receive a comprehensive manual with practical resources and job aids for post-course reference.